The Apple Assimilation

 I got really nostalgic for my iPod days while writing the appropriately titled The iPod Reminiscence. I did not even get into my great little iPod shuffle, but the side effect that post had on me was to realize that I have a better music experience in my home office than I do in the car, on a hike, or while out and about. Things were not always thus. Once I crushed the thrones of the world beneath my sandaled feet and I had my songs and playlists neatly organized. At least half of that last sentence is either an outright lie or extreme exaggeration. 

I have tried on various sound solutions because I do love music. I have my digital music library redundantly backed up because I have lost it a few times and needed to go through the effort of recovery and rebuilding. At home I like having my iTunes all configured on my Surface. I have all the important albums set up as playlists for quick access. I have my favorite songs Loved. I used skip counts and play counts to sort and organize. It is lovely. 

iTunes has been a constant in my digital life since that first iPod. Moving from one PC to another isn't the smoothest transition in the world, but it is better than Groove Music. Seriously, Microsoft have you just given up at this point? I mean, yes, we all are using iTunes, but at least get in the game. I forgive you for the Zune. 

I admit I have been eyeing an iPad for a while. Watching people work with an Apple Pencil just looked too awesome not to get me intrigued. As a kid I dreamed of a digital sketch pad where I could doodle away aimlessly and not have to worry about how sharp my pencil was, about running out of ink, or of using up all of my paper. I have had lots of digital pens and drawing pads. Until my Surface Pro 7 I never really loved any of them enough to get invested in the medium. Even then I went back to paper and ink pretty quickly. 

I had considered investing in a cheap option from eBay. It worked out that wasn't necessary. I found a good sale on a 9th generation iPad as the 10th generation released. I went directly to Apple for the accessories. I got a Magic keyboard for blogging. I got my Apple Pencil. Then I waited patiently for it all to arrive because I didn't really want to head to the Apple store. 

I cannot claim that the iPad just blew me away. The bar there is high. I am writing this on my Surface Pro 7 connected to three screens via one USB A connection that also allows me to type on my Alienware mechanical keyboard. I am spoiled for good tech. I can say that when I fiddled about a bit and loaded my music library from iTunes to the iPad and was able to play my 1993/1994 playlist (specifically I call rocking out to Meatloaf's I will do anything for love...) as I tried out the new Apple Pencil. Few things will take me back in time like engaging the tactile sense of a sketch while engaging my ears with time warp tunes. That was a good evening. 

The thing is, I have been a loyal Android user for several generations of phone now. I had an iPhone 4 and it was a lackluster experience back then. There were a few games unique to iPhone that were a draw. I mean, how the F am I going to return to Apple only to find out the Infinity Blade games have been sunset. I call shenanigans. 

Anyway, I have not been unhappy with my Samsung phones. I loved my S20. My single complaint has been the music software which was a bit clunky. I couldn't have the same organization on my phone and computer. Then, again music is one of the primary things I use my phone for. Which was the thought that got me evaluating if I could switch to iPhone or upgrade my Samsung. 

What do I really use a phone for? Text messaging is at the top of the list. That is followed by phone calls not because I ever want to take one but because that is the function a phone needs to fill. When I recently had to call and report an attempted burglary at my house I was happy to have a phone that made calls, right? My next priority is music and audio books. You can throw podcasts in there, but if I am honest I don't listen to them. 

Then comes my cellphone camera. I am a shutterbug. Who can live without pictures of my kid and my cooking creations? Because I take a lot of photos I have storage and app needs. I solved quite a bit of them with cloud solutions that don't care if I am on Android or iPhone. 

I need access to some basic organization and productivity software. Again, my solutions are not platform specific. Last in line are my social media apps. I honestly wish I could get myself off of them. I am settling for putting minimalized effort or time into them. They are on any "smart" phone. 

The deciding factors for my phone loyalty basically come down to camera, music, and style. Then I realized that there was one more important factor. It isn't enough to have my music organized. I need to be able to enjoy quality sound from the phone and on some sort of in-my-ear solution. On the Samsung I already owned a pair of JBL earbuds that are good but not great. They did beat out the Samsung and Amazon versions I have tried in quality of craftsmanship and sound. Showing I likely have more access to credit than I have sense I decided to try out AirPods. 

I was doomed the moment I saw the AirPods pair to my iPad. It was so simple and friendly. The sound could have been mediocre and I was probably already sold to Apple. The sound was very solid. I started shopping for an iPhone the very next day. 

When I make a swing, I swing big. I got myself an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I ordered a case for it because that is what you do. AT&T gave me a good deal on the whole thing. I waited on it to arrive because I also did not want to go to the AT&T store. I had it a few days before I added an Apple Watch. 

All of this tech works in harmony. I can get messages on the phone, tablet, or watch. I can keep my music libraries synced  up with ease. and if the story ended there I would likely not consider this blog worthy. Me swapping to a brand that I tease people about belonging to a cult because they enjoy should come as no surprise. I do the same thing with Starbucks devotees and I only don't participate there because I don't drink coffee or tea. 

No the story has more wrinkles. I bought a Mag Safe case because that was what both Apple and AT&T offered. After a while the ring and vertical dash on the case obviously had more use than decoration. When I started researching Mag Safe accessories my jaw dropped. I quickly saw a mount, wallet, and charger that just clicked onto my case magnetically. I am a huge fan of portable power banks. I have always wanted (and oddly never had) a cellphone case wallet. 

The charger came in first. I was dubious. The power banks I already own from my podcasting days are bigger than a cellphone with one notable exception. The cute little Casley Powerpod charged up quickly. I let my phone get down to about 20% before slapping the powerpod on...and nothing happened. Helps if you press the button to turn it on. Then it charged nicely. 

The phone and powerpod are a bit more bulky in my hand, but it isn't uncomfortable. It doesn't interfere with the camera or any other function of the phone. I suspect I will order at least one more of these for travel. My phone seems to have about 36 hours of battery life with the way I use it. Having the ability to recharge on the go means I could take nice long hike or camping trip without having to worry about an electric plug. With the aforementioned power banks, I could go weeks without needing an outlet for my phone or AirPods. Granted, I also have been known to charge my Steam Deck so I would need to budget for that. 

Apple has been a great migration thus far. I am not quite ready to give up OneDrive for iCloud since all my Microsoft apps work on all my devices. That day may or may not come as well. I have a lot more years of loyalty to PC than Android. Then again, if Apple were to jump into the gaming arena with a great Mac it could happen, but that would also require compatibility with Steam. 

Anyway, yeah. I switched to Apple. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction