Necessary Tools

My last post was all about what I carry around with me when going out. I didn't get into too many specifics. As an example, if we talk about just carrying my phone it comes with a set of wires and accessories. Here is a break down:

  • iPhone 14 Pro Max
  • Charging Cable 
  • Charging Block (Transformer)
  • AirPods & Case
  • Charging Cable for AirPods
  • Apple Watch
  • Charging Block (Transformer)
  • Charging Cable for Apple Watch
  • Extra Watch Band
  • Casely PowerPod
  • PowerPod Charging Cable
  • Chrome Industries Tech Pouch
That break down is illustrative because each thing in the kit has a specific purpose. If I am out for the afternoon there is a good chance I won't need to charge my phone. If I do, I will use the PowerPod first. Were I to end up unexpectedly out overnight or longer, I want the ability to recharge everything. The watch needs a special cord. The phone and AirPods both work on a lightning cable, but I bring extra because redundancy is preparedness. 

Don't worry. This post is not more about the things I carry around with me. Instead it is about what I look at as well prepared. I find myself thinking about this for a couple of reasons. First, I got to outfit my new truck. Secondly, as we are doing some fantastic spring cleaning and rearranging in the house I have found myself thinking about the really important tools that I don't like living without. That is why we should start with: 

The Truck

My Dad had various pick up trucks as I was growing up. I think I spent the most time in his Chevy Luv Truck. I have fond memories of his mid 50s truck with the power lift gate. It seemed like there was always something that we could do with the truck. When I came of age a truck was one of the first purchases I made. I have had several different types of pick up over the years. Some of them were wonderful. At least one was terrible.  Until recently, if I did not have a truck Dad did. For the last several years I have been without access to a truck and that has been less than ideal. So... I bought myself an F-150. 



I have held off making the investment for two reasons. I did not want to deal with the expense of getting another vehicle because I rarely go much of anywhere. I also was afraid that I was convincing myself that I needed something that I did not need. Approaching big decisions with caution is good. Turns out, I was worried for absolutely nothing. 

Since I bought my truck, I have helped a friend move. I have made countless trips between my house and our storage shed moving everything from boxes to furniture. I have gotten way more done in a few weeks of having the truck. The truck by itself is massively useful. Having a long bed to toss stuff into for moving is wonderful. Add a few accessories and a truck is hard to beat. The fact that my F-150 has a factory paint matching bed cover adds a layer of awesome that I am not used to. 

A few days after buying the truck I headed off to the store to buy a few things. Granted, I was replacing big pieces of my oil change kit (rhino ramps, oil drain pan, and rags.) I was also picking up a few things that I feel are truck necessities. Since the truck came with a towing receiver, I went ahead and bought a hitch. I went with a four way that included a tow hook since I have access to a couple of trailers that need different ball sizes. I am betting I put that tow hook to use before the end of April yanking something around the property. I also picked up a new set of ratchet straps. Even with the bed covered I often will find myself in need of tie downs. I passed on the tow straps for now. I have several heavy duty chains and I suspect I won't actually need to tow a vehicle anytime soon. 

I also slid a blue tarp and a moving blanket behind the seat. Changing a flat isn't super fun. I seem to always change them in the rain. Having something to kneel or stretch out on that lets me stay dry has proven advantageous a number of times. I picked up a nice big funnel. Then I rounded out my buys for the day with a new umbrella. 

Back at the house I added a few other tools. It has always vexed me that vehicles don't come with a list of all the bolt and nut sizes that are on the car. How wonderful would that inventory be? I am unlikely to extract my engine or transmission on the side of the road, but I have found myself in situations where changing a battery, alternator, or starter had to happen in order to get home. More than a few times I have been a goodly distance from home at the time. It is easier and cheaper to rescue myself whenever possible rather than have to call for help. I like having a few appropriate tools in every vehicle I own. Who knows, it might even give me the chance to help someone else out. 

I also outfit my truck with a utility knife. This is super redundant and unnecessary as hell. I carry a pocket knife everywhere I can go. Yet oddly enough there is a psychological comfort in the fact that I have a back up stashed away. I have found need of these knives several times in several situations. Once I had to cut a big piece of plastic out from around my rear axle on the side of the interstate. I was happy of a good heavy blade to work with at the time. I have also done spur of the moment trips for the hell of it. Once I used a short, fat bladed machete as a spatula when I forgot one on a cook out in Cades Cove. 

For the same reason there is typically an emergency blanket, pillow, and flashlight in my truck. I have seldom needed them for survival, but they do make mid shift naps nice. I also never like a passenger to be uncomfortable. Whipping out a pillow or blanket has earned me cool points at various times of my life. I keep them around and feel confident about my life choices. 

Hmm. I better wrap this up. I need to add a fresh roll of duct tape to my shopping list. It is like American Express. Don't leave home without it!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction