EDC: The Update

I really love working on my every day carry load out. I started writing about my history with various bags here. I then revisited the topic a little later looking at power banks and knives in great detail in talking about "missing pieces." You can read that here. Some recent changes to my routine, and a few upcoming trips, have me revisiting what I carry with me on a daily basis. 

I decided that the easiest way to lay out this post was to layout the things in my bag.  I have purchased and discarded or resold several backpacks since those two original posts. The High Sierra that I am carrying daily isn't perfect, but until I find a similar capacity bag that I can add on to it will have to work. I have wasted a few hundred dollars trying to make various molle systems function as well. They get close, but I always feel like Goldilocks. This bag is too big. This bag is too small. No bag has been just right. That leads to compromise. 


There is the majority of my gear. Depending on the adventure I might change out a few things. I am going to start with what is not pictured: My Microsoft Surface Pro 7 and my Kindle Fire. Yes, I am ridiculous with my electronics assortment. I have three tablets that serve three distinct purposes. My Surface has been my workhorse system for a few years yet. Because I went for a high performance build at purchase it still feels appropriately fast and strong. When I bought it I expected to sit the Kindle aside. I did not because holding a 12 inch screen as I am falling asleep is a little awkward. I doze off and hit myself in the face. Not fun. 

If I am leaving the house, I prefer carrying the iPad. It is smaller at 10 inches. I have the Magic Keyboard which makes all my writing activities pretty simple. Most of all, the Apple Pencil eliminates the need to carry a separate sketchbook. I am still learning Procreate, but I am to the place I can at least get the pencil level done with reasonable proficiency. Also, since my phone, watch, and ear buds are all in the same Apple ecosystem it cuts down on cord diversity. 

The downside of the iPad comes into some of the deeper things I get into like sideloading games onto my Steam Deck (also not pictured because I don't tote it around daily.) It may be able to do those things, but I am not an adept Apple user as of yet. I am learning quickly though. 

I have a bunch of handy tools and gadgets that I like having at hand. The Swiss Army Knife is a must. The Buck 110 Lite is my go to knife. I have a Buck 110 Automatic that I love having on my belt, but that one is a bit heavy for the bag. I have carried a lighter since I was a teenager for reasons that were reinforced in an incident worthy of its own blog post. The charging bank is amazing. The umbrella and waterproof pack cover have obvious uses. I try not to leave on any extended trip without at least one deck of cards. Playing cards have immense psychological value in the war on boredom. Perhaps most important I have a small hygiene kit with tools to cut my nails, pluck stray hairs or remove splinters, and tighten screws on my glasses. 

I pack two different books. I have gone back to a page-per-day calendar from Moleskine because it helps me feel more organized. It serves multiple purposes. It is all at once a calendar, journal, recipe book, and financial planner. I prefer the larger size book so it doesn't ride around with me if I leave the bag behind. For a pocket notebook I carry a Field Notebook inside a Lochby cover. Tucked in the pockets are a little cash, a few credit cards, my back up driver's license, and my back up Conceal Carry Permit.  

I have a Lochby tool roll that I carry about. It has a few pens and pencils, a watch tool, a set of cleaning tools for small electronics, a bit of cash, spare USB C cables, and a field notebook tucked away. The pens are a bit redundant. I have my Baronfig Squire that I prefer to write with tucked away into the Lochby pocket notebook. Still, I love knowing I can pull out and write with my Kaweco Pens or my Rotring pencils anytime. 

I have two different cord bags. One is for my Surface accessories. I have a portable hub, mouse, smart pen, and glove for when I want to write or draw on the screen. The other bag I am a proud of. It is a tech pouch from Chrome industries. It is full of all the cords I need for my Apple gear as well as a Casely Charging Pod. The end of my tech is a monopod/ selfie stick. I bought it on an impulse on Amazon. I don't feel bad about this because I have used the thing to shoot videos, take a few photos, and once to shoot a video underneath a vehicle to diagnose a problem. It isn't quite the proverbial ten foot pole but it gets more jobs done than I expected. 
 
My pack is topped off with some really practical stuff. I have aspirin and ibuprofen. I have an insulated water bottle. I have a mask that doubles as an emergency napkin or bandana. The pandemic taught me how useful those little masks can be for things other than avoiding the plague. I once used one as a makeshift potholder with no regrets. Since my favorite poncho is a little bulky I subbed in a compact umbrella. That has proven useful more than a few times. 

Laid out this looks like a metric ton worth of stuff. It really isn't. My pack has plenty of room left to shove in other necessities. It isn't quite as organized as I would like, but thus far I have not found myself wanting for gear. 

It is a shame that my commute is only half way across my house. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction