Do More of That

 I have mentioned here before that I am in the ramp up stages of figuring out my resolutions for 2023. I have been thinking back over the year to the things that work well and the things that did not. Writing helps me to think. I also like putting out decent things to read so here goes. 

Do More of This

Steam Deck

For hobbies, the grand slam home run of my year has to be the investment in my Steam Deck. It has already surpassed my value calculation (Hours used in enjoyment vs. dollars spent) by far. I am still discovering more things I love about it. I could likely not buy another video game in 2023 and never run out of things to play. I love that the stockpile of games that I have already built up are finding new life on this amazing handheld. Even discovering quirks, such as I can play FFXII Zodiac Age with the Steam Deck docked but I have to plug in the dock after the game is at the main menu, is a delight. 

Switch Sports/ Wii / Wii U

Teagan is my gamer kid. She isn't obsessed with video games the way I was at her age, but we bond a bit over them. Her latest enjoyment is playing Super Mario Maker on the Wii U. It is a blast to see her play and get creative. 

She also will beat you (though rarely me) at Switch Sports and talk mad shit as and after she does it. The kid can really play Tennis, Bowling, and Badminton. She logs in as me and kicks a lot of butt online. We both get a kick out of unlocking stuff by earning points. 

All of that makes me feel better about my video gaming. It is nice to include the family. I may have to explore Mario Party games at some point again. Also Mario Kart is wonderful. 

Vacation / Road Trips 

Here it is late November and I am just realizing that I never took a trip this year. Minus a few trips to the campground and the lake I have not done much out and about in the world. I need to make a change on that front in 2023. I need beaches, mountains, and a bit of the open road in between. One of the problems with making home comfortable and entertaining is that I don't feel much of a press to get out and do. Come spring I really wouldn't mind planning a few weekends camping off the bike while riding to see some things. 


Do Less of That

Buying card games, role playing games, and board games 

I don't have a play group. You might find yourself asking," David, why don't you put playing these games in your 'Do More of This' section?" The answer to that is that playing the games isn't the concern here. I doubled down on my RPG content in 2022. I added Pathfinder 2E collecting to the complete D&D 5E library. I love the world Paizo puts out. Having spent less than a full day browsing through the dozens of books I purchased means I am being really stupid continuing to invest. I also expanded my 5E content beyond WotC releases and have a full shelf of content that is quite interesting and totally unlikely to see any play. 

I also continued to buy Arkham Horror the Card Game. I played a few games solo and with a partner, but it just isn't high on my priority list. I love the game. I have over a grand invested in it, and without play this makes no sense. I love the new format that FFG has gone to with releases twice a year, but even dropping $300 a year on a game I don't play seems really stupid. It may be time to eBay down the gaming collection in general. Or not... Maybe I treat it like Magic the Gathering and I stop buying in, but hold on to what I have just in case I want to play a game. I really don't know, but spending a significant amount of money on games I don't play seems dumb.

Sitting Around the House

I spent more than half of 2022 sick. I had symptoms of long Covid that impacted my ability to breathe when moving even short distances. I seem to be able to function now, but I have had a hard time finding the motivation to get up and around. It has hurt my weight, but it also has not helped the social anxiety of getting out into the world. My mental state wasn't great for the first half of the year either, but getting back out there really does help. 

I have quite a few things I want to accomplish in this next year. I have to admit this has inspired me to make some moves. I am going to close up this post and revisit it again on Thursday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction