Christmas List 2022

I have found a work around for my Amazon problem. I have talked about this before, but the fact that it is working for me feels good. I have placed 309 Amazon orders so far in 2022. Continuing on that pace I was going to pass the average of an order a day. My work around came by removing the impulse purchases. 

I set myself a simple rule. I can only place an order on payday. I figured that I would break the rule quickly. I oddly haven't had the slightest impulse to do so except ordering a book for work. I am a sucker for learning new stuff. I had to wait a bit after deciding on this path for payday to roll around. I had built about $250 worth of stuff in my Amazon cart in the first few days. 

A funny thing happened. By the time payday got here there was only one thing I really wanted which was an important accessory for my new carry pistol. I spent my $26.99 and sat back to wait for Amazon day. I had a little remorse because I had forgot I needed to order a stock of AA batteries. I could have rationalized making an order, but creating the habit felt more important to me. I decided I could run to the store if I got to really needing AAs. 

The interesting part is that I probably put something in my cart every other day. A few times a week I glance at it and roll my eyes. Some things get removed entirely. Others get saved for later. Refining my cart with no intention of checking out that day is a sort of mental play. When I was packing for the zoo field trip I discovered some great stainless steel lunch containers by LunchBots. They are still hanging out in my saved items. Hard to convince myself I need a $37 sandwich carrier when I don't even commute to work anymore. Still I spent a few minutes browsing bento boxes. Fancy lunch on the go can be a thing. 


I wish I had done this throughout the year. I would have less junk. The hold time gives me time to think and consider. It also might let me stack up a few things for birthdays and Christmas that I could easily have waited on. There are some things that it is better to receive as a gift like Hexclad pans. Kidding. Those things are crazy expensive. I am no Gordon Ramsey. This is also why I have never bought myself a Spyderco pocket knife. 

So... What has made my Christmas List this year? Honestly, It is mostly video games. I have some specific wants there and all of them are older selections. Want to know the truth though? I normally enjoy when the family goes off script. I hate knowing what I am going to get. Still, I am going to make the list mostly because it fills a blog post. 

The Practical Stuff

I need a new pair of flip flops. You may not find these around Christmas, but if you do they are likely cheap because it is not flip flop season. I like thick soled flip flops made from cork or leather. 

I'd like a Zippo lighter. I carried one for years and it vanished one day and was never replaced. I had an interesting experience while hiking with the family and my Zippo likely helped save our lives. 

I wouldn't object to a set of blank recipe cards or a cookbook. Keep in mind, my purpose for this is to eventually give them to my girls. I don't need anything elegant or leatherbound. I do not want a ring binder style. I have been keeping my recipes digitally, but I plan to take the time to write them out because it will mean something when I am gone. 

Ammo

I love to shoot. It is very relaxing for me. Because of lack of a variety of ammo, I have limited the weapons I use down to four calibers which I typically find on the shelf regularly. 

.22LR - This is my second favorite round. It is budget friendly typically. I find decent boxes of 50 for $4.99 these days. I miss when I could buy a bucket under $10 and shoot all day. I typically buy these in 300 - 500 count bricks and go through that in about a month. 

9mm - This is by far my favorite round that is readily available. I own several 9mm pistols. I typically blow through at least 50 -100 shots each week as this is what my current carry pistol is chambered in. I haven't been buying this in bulk, but I typically will pick up 3-4 boxes of 50 shells every week or two. My current supply is running lower than I like so a big buy is probably due. 

.556 x 45 Nato - Commonly referred to as .556 I fire this through the AR. The damn thing is just too fun to shoot. I have gotten really comfortable with it through practice. I generally buy this in 150-300 round boxes depending on what is available. My AR will also fire .223 Remington. Basically, (and arguably) they are the same round. I try to limit my firing on the AR though I keep several magazines loaded and practice at least monthly. 

12 gauge target rounds - I adore my shotgun though I am considering another upgrade. I keep a few boxes of target loads on hand for home defense. I only practice with the shotgun sporadically. It is always a good time though and I burn through a couple of boxes each time. I used to buy 12 gauge ammo weekly and restock an ammo box. I have gotten out of the habit, but I would like to return to it. I must enjoy bruised shoulders. 

Books

Cookbooks aren't a bad idea.

I am interested in harvesting seeds. The Manual of Seed Saving is high on my list though it is out of print. I am not willing to pay what I have seen online for this and wouldn't really want anyone to spend much on it for me. 

Book on gardening particularly focusing on edible fruits, vegetables, and herbs would be great. 

I have been playing at growing trees from seed thus far. Book on identifying plants, seeds, or how to grow trees are amazing. 

National Geographic Complete National Parks of the United States I have this vague idea that I would like to travel around visiting most or all of the National Parks in the U.S. over the next few years. 

Role Playing Stuff

You'd have a hard time going wrong with dice. They get me excited about gaming. I love Roll 4 Initiative dice sets. I also like the Beadle and Grim character sets. Avoid metal dice. I have a few sets. I don't care for them generally because they scar up a table and for some reason other people always snatch them up and toss them there even if a dice tray is present to roll into. 

Any of the Epic Encounters sets except Chambers of the Serpent Folk or Temple of the Snake God. I got them for myself as a taste test over the summer. I freaking LOVE these boxed sets. If I could subscribe to them, I totally would. I like these a lot because they come with both awesome minis and content. 

Awesome minis are good too. 

Kobold Press 5E books

I have been on the fence about trying this out for a while now. Eight years ago when I began collecting up Fifth Edition D&D books I swore I was only going to invest in the "official" products. I broke that promise when I backed a Kickstarter for the Iron Kingdoms setting for 5E. Three Kickstarters later, I am still loving the content. 

That followed pretty quickly by me giving in to getting Goodman Games Original Adventures Reincarnated. Whitneigh gifted me a couple of the books which was wonderful. I caught myself up on the rest and have since purchased all of their 5E content. 

I also have been watching for Adventures in Rokugan from Edge Studios. I have it which gives me Legend of the Five Rings for D&D 5E. It also means that I can stat out Splinter as a Nezumi while Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello are obviously Tortles. Anyone in for a fantasy TMNT game? Haunting Edge Studios Website also got me hyped about their Midnight campaign setting. Grim Dark worlds have kept my interest since the original Diablo. 

I could go on and on, but basically I have decided that I can flesh out my 3rd party 5E content with books from Kobold Press. They are making additional content that strikes me as similar to the way Paizo puts out their Pathfinder books both in the format options (I LOVE Pocket Edition books) and the type of content they put out. My buddy Travis also spoke highly of their work so I have to fill a shelf. 

Scarlet Citadel 
Scarlet Citadel Map Folio 
Tome of Beasts - Pocket Edition
Tome of Beasts II - Pocket Edition
Deep Magic - Pocket Edition
Vault of Magic - Pocket Edition
Tome of Heroes - Pocket Edition
Book of Ebon Tides 

Video Games

Here is where it gets fun. I have very few modern games I am after. 

Switch

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) 
Super Mario Maker 2

These are just two games I have never gotten around to putting in the collection. I want them, but not really enough to buy them. I might not even play them if I had them. Still, they are on the list. 

Mario + Rabbids Spark of Hope - This one I am excited about. I love the Mario RPG series. It started in 1996 with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars before branching into Paper Mario, the Mario & Luigi Series, and now on Switch brings the Rabbids in on the fun. So freaking cool. 

Wii U

Paper Mario: Color Splash
Wii Sports Club
Super Mario Maker

I, uh, also do not have a Wii U. It is on the list, but loosely

Wii

Link's Crossbow Training with the Zapper Accessory
Epic Mickey 
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort

I may or may not still have a Wii that cam be made to work. A Wii is not on the list at all. 

DS/3DS

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga +Bowser's Minions
Mario & Luigi Partners In Time
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario Kart 7
Super Princess Peach

I have a couple of solid working DS systems. 


I have an entire stack of Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games that I am thinking of running down. I am not doing that for a few reasons. I think it is likely that the games I want to play on those systems will show up on the Switch online subscription in the near future. I also do not currently have a system that will run these games. 

Yep. I am on a Mario kick. I have the majority of the available titles from the history of Nintendo making video games. There are a few gaps that I am working on filling up. Thus the above list of games. It isn't about collecting. There are some amazing games there. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction