Sunshine and Fresh Air

 I have been having some health struggles. I cannot seem to stay healthy. I have modified my diet. I have started taking a variety of vitamins which probably mostly make my urine expensive (thanks Big Bang Theory.) It is hard to exercise when you cannot breathe or keep yourself upright for one reason or another.  That has been for a variety of reasons most of which I don't want to discuss in any real detail. 

While apologizing to my training class today for me sniffling my way through the day, one of my people said," My doctor recently told me that I need to get outside 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening." I was enchanted with this conversation which went on to suggest short walks in both outings. The reason for my being so quickly enthralled and willing to accept this advice, other than it being simple, healthy, and obvious is that I had read the same advice nearly word for word the day before. 

A few days before that while working through some "news" articles online I found myself reading about positive health habits. The suggestions in that article started with being outside more regularly and taking gentle walks. Messages repeat themselves when the universe is trying to get through to me.

The next break in my day I went outside. I didn't do a lot but wander around the yard a bit in the sunshine. I spent about ten minutes outside. I'd love to report that my sinuses drained, my cough vanished, and I was filled with a feeling of having robust health and wellness. That didn't happen. I enjoyed the sunshine. I stretched a bit. My nose stuffed up a bit. 

Then I did not want to sit in my office chair anymore. I didn't feel like sitting there. I considered converting my desk into the standing configuration to ease the ache in my butt and legs. I also realized that with my head throbbing from sinus pressure I didn't really feel like standing. I mostly fidgeted a lot and tried to project more energy than I actually had. 

I hurried through my lunch peeling and dicing potatoes for soup. I was very proud of myself that I loaded the crockpot for supper with enough time to spare to have a hamburger patty with a couple of pickle slices and a pair of small oranges for desert. I will repeat what I said when I opened the bag of oranges. They are so tiny I found myself declaring," These are not oranges. They are insults." The little bastards are juicy and flavorful. That is nice since every cold since Covid-19 dulls the taste and smell of everything. 

The effort to get up and get out in the yard feels huge. That is a mark of how far gone I am from the adventurer I have always been. It is no longer just a matter of will power or finding interest. I miss shooting my bow. I miss throwing my axes and knives. I miss my walks. I have a feeling I am going to have to power through a lot of discomfort to find my feet again. 

I figure I can conquer this in small steps. I may have to just walk even when I cannot breathe. The worst thing that is likely to happen is me hit the ground for a minute or two. I have hit a point of frustration that I would rather pass out trying than continue to get more and more unhealthy because it hurts to do most anything. I ain't no bitch. 

The strange part is that it wasn't all that long ago that I was climbing mountains and hiking regularly. Maybe the climb back to that point won't take as long as I imagine. I sure know it doesn't feel that way when a walk to the mailbox leaves me slightly winded. Stupid lungs. 

I am going to have to once again think through my routine. I have some space to make meaningful adjustments. I will make it work. It is just a matter of some endurance. Give that I am the guy who has given himself stitched and yanked out a busted tooth with a pair of pliers I can take it as written that I can make a go of it. A few laps around the yard are unlikely to cause me too much trouble. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction