Decidedly Not Critical

 I was reading a TMNT comic today when I realized I was struggling to enjoy the experience because the art was terrible. The turtles have gone through some transformations over different incarnations over the years. The original comic book series was not my favorite artistic style, but I recognize that those pencils are iconic to turtles fans. Eastman and Laird created a book that departed from the popular line art of the day and stood on its own merits. 

I mean zero insult when I say I do not typically go for the Eastman covers of my TMNT books from IDW. Who I am to speak authoritatively about the quality of any art? I can manage slightly better than stick figures, but I am far from a professional artist. As a fanboy I know the art that attracts my eye. I love the current She-Hulk run with covers by Jen Bartel. I get a kick out of Ryan Ottley's style. I could go on and on about the artists and writers I love. I point out my struggle with the art in the recent issue of TMNT not to bash it, but to make a point. 

Just because something is not to your taste does not mean you have to trash it for others. The internet seems full of people bitching and complaining about the quality of the latest Marvel or Star Wars series. She-Hulk isn't even out yet and there are quite a few people predicting how terrible it is going to be due to the CGI. I am mostly just blown away that there is a live action She-Hulk series. The pervy teenager in me is curious how many PG-13 pushing line we will get with ripping clothes. I know a thing or two about the materials bras are made of and I do not buy into any reality where someone can hulk out and maintain lift and support. Underwires are not rated for such things and Sports Bras do not have that level of elasticity. Yes, they could probably make several episodes about She-Hulk struggling not to bounce when she runs and I would be enthralled. I like boobs. Nothing wrong with having a healthy respect and curiosity for super boobs.

As happens in my life I got distracted from my point thinking about a wardrobe malfunction of a fictional character. I was amazed at how many people shouted down Obi-Wan Kenobi. I felt, while no show is totally perfect, Kenobi did a great job drawing the Jedi resigned to living out his life as a hermit protecting Luke back into a conflict with the Empire and Vader. It felt like Disney gave us a story that fit the existing lore without creating major plot holes. The casting was brilliant. It told a complete story while leaving room to expand in the future. What was there to be so pissed off about? 

Then again, entertainment wise, I am living in a world I did not dream was possible when I was growing up. I was the nerd who wanted D&D and comic books to be something relevant and mainstream so that people could share in the worlds I loved. The things that made me weird and different in middle and high school are popular and mainstream. It is pretty cool. That may make it hard for me to be super critical of movies and shows from fandoms I have followed for the majority of my life. 

When I find myself displeased with an aspect of something, like the art in that issue of TMNT, I don't typically write about it. I don't like feeling negatively about something. I sure do not want to broadcast negativity. Though that certainly seems to get more attention than anything else. 

To be fair if Jennifer Walters hulked out wouldn't the size change send the clasp of her bra flying through the air at a velocity never before seen by the hook and loop closure? Could that be a source of collateral damage? What would be her liability and what responsibility could fall on the manufacturer? I mean is Victoria Secret on the line to replace all the windows along a block of NYC due to a fly away closure? This is why I will never be allowed to write a script for She-Hulk. 

I think we might all be happier if we focused on the positives of what we enjoy and let the negative go. Let others enjoy what they love without making comment about it. I find that I can be enthusiastic about things that others enjoy even if they aren't for me. Take watching sports for example. I have no interest and find it a bit sad. Yet, a real fan of a team can draw me into the excitement especially if they are yelling at the screen. 

I say we do what we want as long as it isn't hurting anyone and let everyone else do what they want. The only time I am going to have a strong opinion is if I am excited about it. Clearly this is why I will never have a career as a critic. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction