G Shocked

 I buy too many things that I do not need. I catch passions for things. Sometimes they turn out to be fantastic like having both a gaming laptop and my Surface Pro 7. I admit using that example that part of me wants a Surface Go. I do not need one. I just really like the idea of having a smaller tablet to carry around. I have resisted that impulse buy for months now. I have walked myself back from pressing the buy button several times. 

It took me two weeks of looking at it before I broke and made a totally useless nostalgia purchase. There are few things that I have lost along the way that I would invest time or energy into tracking down again. I wouldn't mind having my 1972 Chevelle back. I would say the same about my full size 1989 Bronco with the 351 Windsor, but I couldn't convince myself to make $170 fill ups just to go 280 miles. Part of me wishes I had all the attitude era No Fear shirts I had in high school. They wouldn't fit, but I enjoyed them. 

When I pulled the trigger on ordering the watch I wore in high school I chided myself for wasting money. I remember my watch feeling huge, clunky and, to me at least, awesome. I had a tan line on my wrist year round. I wore the thing to bed. I wore it in the shower. It was waterproof after all. I loved that watch. I also have zero recollection of what happened to it. 


You'd be amazed at how much I have enjoyed wearing the replacement for my high school era watch. It is the same model. I put it on and just felt right. I am not sure having Chevy keys in my pocket would feel any better. I even remembered how to set the time from memory. We will see if that will hold for falling back this year. I kept the instructions just in case. I kept the box too. I swear it is identical to the one I got back in the day. 

Nostalgia can be really positive, but this watch is more than that in a funny way. I have a Samsung Galaxy watch that I almost never wear unless I want to track my steps without carrying my phone. I don't like wearing it not because it isn't a nice watch but because it does too much. It makes it hard to ignore texts and other notifications. It also irritates me charging the stupid thing. 

The GShock used to feel like a huge wrist watch. Before I had it in high school I had a few watches. My favorite was the Casio Calculator watch. Having tried a few smart watches, my GShock is light as a feather. I ignore it unless I want to check the time which is an odd thing to enjoy about it. 

It also allows me to go long periods of time without looking at my phone. I often reach for the phone to check the time and get drawn into some notification. I love giving myself permission and encouragement to ignore the phone. If it weren't for a few things I really like about having a smart phone, I would downgrade into something simpler. Suddenly, I would like to have a Blackberry with an actual keyboard again. Man, I got use out of my Blackberry Curve back in the day. 

I don't have a lot else to say. I bought an old watch. It made me happy. It is nice to have simple joys in life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction