Breaking my Camera Bag

 I absolutely love having gear. I enjoy it so much that any activity which gives me a need to outfit myself with gear will gain my interest and quickly become one of my favorite things. Hiking implies a need for hiking boots, some water, some snacks, and a way to carry water and snacks. Optionally, I could add walking sticks, first aid kit, hydration bladders, lighters, poncho, emergency blanket, flint and steel, a camera, binoculars, cooling towel, bandana, hat, jacket, compass, camp shovel, knife, hatchet, headphones for those up hills, and aspirin. On the other hand, walking around a track really just requires a water bottle, headphones for my phone, and a decent pair of shoes. Is it any surprise I prefer hiking to taking a walk?

When we first started recording the podcast my investment was in a single USB microphone. Our early shows were just me running a laptop with Audacity capturing the conversation. It wasn't the highest production quality show, but for the complete lack of an equipment budget (This is a clever way of saying I was BROKE though not so broke I had pawned my laptop or couldn't pay $20 for a microphone on amazon.com) we actually did pretty well. I invested in a Tascam DR-05 later, and I think that my podcast equipment addiction started in earnest. 


Not including Tripods, I now typically bring my Microsoft Surface Pro 7, mouse, power cords, 2 USB Power Banks (just upgraded this to 3 yesterday), Tascam DR-05, Zoom Q2N4k, GoPro Hero 8 with Media Mod, Uzlanti Tripod Grip for Go Pro, Sony Handycam, Sony ZV-1 with Remote Tripod Grip, Cords, Batteries, and Cases. For a studio-on-the-go, I love my set up. I continue to find newer and better ways to capture content. The catch is that even though these things are small, I want a way that is safe and secure to transport things.

Last summer I decided the answer was the G-raphy camera backpack with laptop compartment. 


I knew going into the purchase that the bag was meant for a large DSLR camera and several lenses, filters, and batteries. I have a different battle with my photography gear (I recently went mirrorless with a Micro Four Thirds Olympus!), but I was pretty certain that my series of small vlogging gear would fit well, and I was right. The half dozen times I carried my G-raphy camera bag full of gear it worked well... until yesterday. 

What happened wasn't a catastrophic failure. I loaded the bag with only the gear I needed: 2 battery packs, Surface, Sony ZV-1, and Zoom Q2N4k. I don't record audio only anymore since I get such great sound from my video cameras. I do always record redundant video in case of an unforeseen failure. They happen more than you think. There is little more upsetting than realizing that your awesome take just VANISHED. It sucks when you did not press record and missed something, but even that is better than a hardware failure. Anyway, I carry two cameras.

I stepped off my porch and felt a little pop at my left shoulder. As soon as I sat the bag down in my front seat I saw that the hang loop had popped free. I have broken quite a few of those on cheap bags in my day. It doesn't ruin the bag usually. I might could sew it. I might could cut it free and not have an easy way to stow the empty bag. 

Then I noticed that the shoulder strap and the hang strap shared a seam. Ack! I have popped an important seam and destroyed the structural integrity of the bag. It might could be repaired, but honestly it is a cheap bag that I don't believe I want to put the time or effort into fixing.

I have to admit that I see this situation as reason to upgrade my camera bag. The only thing more fun that figuring out what gear I want to bring with me, and yes it is always a ridiculous amount, is figuring out how to stow all that gear efficiently. I need organization, capacity, and reasonably easy access. 

I have purchased at least 3 or 4 backpacks every year for the past decade. I have given away the majority of them because no one backpack is everything I need. I seem to always be unhappy about some aspect of the bag. I got a new backpack Tuesday, and I already have a few issues with it even though I spent $250+ on it. It is honestly a travel pack. It could get me through a weekend. It is too much for a hike or even just carrying back and forth to work or the podcast. I will probably make due with it or my High Sierra for a while until I can justify throwing money at the smaller size of the 5.11 pack I bought. 

In all this buying of stuff for different reasons. I have learned a lesson about quality. You really do get what you pay for. $42.99 is not a completely negligible amount of money to me, but it is a cheap price for a camera bag. Honestly, I have more money in the individual protective cases for each of my cameras than I did in my camera bag. I have a feeling that I would have been better off spending $100 on a quality bag from the outset than I would be in buying another cheap bag. 

That is what I have done with molle compatible backpacks. I have always gone with cheap knock off versions. At a quick mental count I have purchased 9 molle packs of various colors, sizes, and qualities. Most of them held up well, but they were always not exactly what I wanted. I finally dished out for a top of the line 5.11 Rush 2.0 55L. I was immediately aware of how cheaply made my other bags have been. I expect it to stand up to my abuse. If I load it down with camera gear next week and strap my tripod to it, I damn well expect to come back with an undamaged pack. I suspect I will. 

It isn't very smart of me to try to protect $1500+ worth of gear with a cheap carrying option. I am thrilled it blew out in my front yard rather than while I was hugging a curve on my motorcycle. I guess I don't know any motorcycle riding, vlogging photographers who also conceal carry and want to have their tablet with them the majority of the time. I am sure they are out there, but I do not know them currently. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction