Gift Giving

My wife's birthday is a month after our wedding anniversary to the day. For her birthday I came up with a jewelry box made of some very nice mahogany inlaid metal carved doors. The gift was based on the fact that for the last year my gifts of jewelry has been rather... generous. 

For her birthday the year we met I bought her a Jane Seymour Open Heart pendant and necklace. Since then the necklace has not really been off her neck except for the one time that the clasp broke and we had to send it in for repair. I think she has really loved that necklace. I've bought her earrings and three rings from the set since then.

When this birthday rolled around she very specifically forbade me from buying jewelry. She none too subtle hint at what present to buy was," Don't buy me anymore jewelry. I don't have anywhere to keep it." How can a good husband resist a sales pitch with that much directness so unsubtle in its delivery? 

Come to find out there is a formula to use when buying a woman you love a gift. In the case of the engagement ring, though I claim this is made up, the formula is simple. The engagement ring should cost three times as much as you make in a month. For all the guys out there objecting, I feel you. This is just the rule I was quoted... and followed. I sure wish I made less money monthly. Still I am rather proud of Ashley's rock. 

For Valentine's day I believe in a simple theme. You buy candy, a card, flowers, and jewelry. I haven't always followed my formula. It has caused me trouble in the past when I haven't done things right. For the record, being a sour bastard and having hated Valentine's Day for years isn't a good excuse when you love a woman.

The jewelry box was a rather proud purchase. I knew she wanted it. It goes along with all the other things I have bought her. It all went well even with the pink wrapping paper... until my parents brought in their gift of a puppy Saint Bernard.

Buddy is adorable. He is  a joy to have around. We have spent most of our days since her birthday feeding, walking, petting, and just plain loving her present.

Which is all just to show there is always something to be learned about giving gifts. Always go with the cuddly, furry gift!.... just no more at my house!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ennui

Losing Myself in Distraction